Junior Year -
Create a list of colleges you are interested in. It should include schools that meet your most important criteria (for example, size, location, cost, academic majors, or special programs).
Make a testing plan. When will you be taking your ACT and/or SAT?
Begin setting up time to visit your top colleges.
Start composing your personal essays for your college applications.
Senior Year - Fall
- Finish visiting your choice schools.
- Research scholarship opportunities.
- Complete your applications.
- Take your standardized tests.
- Ask for letters of recommendation.
- Submit all college applications.
Senior Year - Winter
- Follow up on applications - be sure that the school has received all necessary documentation.
- Submit financial aid forms including FAFSA and the Iowa Financial Aid Application Form.
COMPLETE AND SUBMIT YOUR GUARDIAN SCHOLARS FOUNDATION APPLICATION PACKAGE BY MARCH 1ST.
Senior Year - Spring
- Receive your acceptance letters.
- Follow up on your financial aid package - you will receive a Student Aid Report statement from applying for a Pell Grant.
- Compare financial aid packages.
HEAR BACK FROM THE GUARDIAN SCHOLARS FOUNDATION ABOUT YOUR SCHOLARSHIP STATUS.
- Make your final decision.
- Complete your enrollment package.
The All Iowa Opportunity Foster Care Grant and the Education and Training Voucher Grant receive preferred consideration when submitted prior to February 28th. Only students who have aged out of the foster care system at 18 or have been adopted after the age of 16 are qualified for these scholarships. If you qualify, these are wonderful assets to have in your financial aid package.
After applying to the Guardian Scholars Foundation Scholarship:
March 1st - Applications were due.
April - Hear back about your application status from Guardian Scholars.
May/June - Post acceptance, submit any additional material requested by the Foundation.
Late July/August - Receive your bill from your college and forward that bill to Guardian Scholars. We will then work with your college to apply your Guardian Scholars Scholarship.
Late August/Early September - Begin school.